Zambia Police Service, is charged with the responsibility of maintaining peace, law and order in all our communities country-wide. In order to effectively and efficiently execute its mandate ....Read More
By: Samson Zimba
From Northern Rhodesia Police Force, the new Zambia Police Force was born and tasked to perform both military and civil functions.
At this time, Law enforcement and public order maintenance was critical in the country and there was need for something to be done in terms of policing.
The intensifying of mining activities at Nkana mines in Kitwe and other towns of the Copper belt demanded huge cheap labour.
However, the conditions of service for African miners were poor. This led to nationalist movement demand for black majority rule, resulting in numerous strikes and riots.
In this regard, the colonial administration responded by creating a counter insurgent wing of the police force called the MOBILE UNIT (MU) which was effected in 1949.
The unit was based at Bwana Mukubwa in Ndola with officers drawn from all districts before it started producing its own officers.
In the year 1952, the unit started producing its own officers trained by white instructors from Britain.
Kamfinsa which is situated along Kitwe-Ndola road and positioned about 14 kilometres outside Kitwe City became the new Mobile Unit base. Kamfinsa was chosen based on its central position of the mostly disturbed areas of the Copperbelt.
Since inception, the unit was being commanded by white expatriate officers from Britain until 1967 when the first black Commanding Officer took over.
From just a platoon of officers, Mobile Unit grew into a fully- fledged police support unit.
This expansion brought about the creation of detachment platoons which created operations’ base in various parts of the country.
Platoons were being deployed to other identified key areas where the mobile unit services were required as well as to beef up the general duties with man power.
These detachment platoons used to rotate after 3 years, from one catchment area to the other.